By Bekah Nash
Are you THE BOSS or the leader of your business?
I recently came across this cartoon in my Instagram feed and it struck a major chord with me. This is one of the best visual descriptions I’ve ever seen illustrating the differences between a boss and a leader.
Take a minute and just look at what’s going on. You’ve got a person on the very top of the mountain celebrating their victory all alone while 3 others are left to fend for themselves down below. Then on the other side, quite a bit further down, you have a person helping 3 others with their climb.
When you look at this picture, where do you see yourself? As the boss or the leader?
- A boss pushes and expects results, a leader coaches and celebrates the personal victories of their team members.
- A boss uses scare tactics, a leader uses positive reinforcement.
- A boss places blame on those around them, a leader takes responsibility for their team’s shortcomings then works to correct the problem to prevent further issues.
- A boss takes the credit for their team’s successes, a leader celebrates the victories of the team as a whole.
- A boss knows everything, a leader is constantly striving to have their team members become even more proficient them themselves.
- A boss is never wrong, a leader is more than willing to take responsibility for their shortcomings.
- A boss uses their employees for their own benefit, a leader is interested in building up their team members and giving them a better quality of life.
- A boss does all the talking, a leader listens first.
- A boss demands respect, a leader earns it by respecting others first.